1. Who invented the term "Dinosauria?" What was his idea about dinosaur metabolism?
2. In relation to paleontology, what is meant by "the edge?" and "the wedge?"
3. Describe a dinosaur as imagined by Victorian paleontologists. What changed our ideas from the Victorian conception?
4. Describe the kinds of vertebrate faunas that existed just before dinosaurs became the most abundant and diverse terrestrial vertebrates.
5. What were the dramatic "revolutions" that changed the face of paleontology after the 1960s?
6. Cite an example of how early twentieth-century imperialism moved the science of paleontology forward.
7. Give two examples of how cladograms changed paleontological thinking.
8. In what fundamental ways does the legend of the griffin differ from our understanding of Protoceratops?
9. Contrast what you know of the Triassic-Jurassic extinction with the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction.
10. Explain the difference between a cladistic view of dinosaur origins and H. G. Seeley's understanding of the origins of dinosaurs.
Was this article helpful?