1. What is Sauropodomorpha? How does it relate to Saurischia?
2. What are the diagnostic characters of Sauropodomorpha? Which two groups comprise Sauropodomorpha? How do they differ? How are they alike?
3. Outline what is known of sauropod reproductive strategies. Would you classify them as r-selected, or K-selected? Why?
4. Describe some features that are associated with large size in sauropodomorphs.
5. What is the evidence that sauropods didn't really chew their food? How can sauropods have been herbivores, but not have developed much chewing ability?
6. Why are sexual dimorphism and gregariousness often linked?
7. What kinds of design constraints are associated with having an extremely long neck?
8. What is the evidence that indicates that sauropods did not dwell in swamps? Where, then, and in what kinds of environment, did they live?
9. In Box 8.1, we wrote: "isn't it possible that unidirectional breathing should be described as saurischian and not "avian?" Can you think of some reasons why this statement might be true?
10. Why do we think that the quadrupedal stance of sauropods evolved secondarily?
Was this article helpful?